Delegates of the 2019 ACRS Conference are invited to participate in this year’s photo competition. Each delegate can submit up to three photographs in each of the following three categories:
- Science-in-action – Photography is a visual and engaging form of storytelling. Show us your research using a single photo (a composite of multiple images will not be accepted).
- Diversity – Tropical reefs are home to the most diverse assemblages of life. This category is for photos of interesting/unique specimens and assemblages of species.
- Macro – Show us the fine detail of life (including unicellular organisms) through macro photography. Microscopy photos are also welcome.
A $50 prize will be awarded to the best photo in each category, and a $100 prize for the best overall photo. The winning and highly commended photos from each of the following categories will be presented during the conference dinner on Thursday May 9th2019.
In addition to these awards, delegates attending the conference will be asked to vote for their favourite photo. The photo receiving the most votes will be awarded the ‘People’s Choice’ award.
Entries are due by Friday, April 26th 2019.
See details on how to enter and conditions of entry below.
The submitted images will be judged by a panel of ACRS Councillors and conference organisers with the following criteria in mind:
- Quality (composition, clarity, colour)
- Content (originality, vision, style)
- Response (exciting, interesting)
- Each image must be submitted in the .jpeg file format and be a minimum of 1600 pixels along the longest edge.
- Images cannot be larger than 10 mb.
- No borders, watermarks or signatures are allowed.
- When naming your file, please list the category number first, followed by your first initial and surname. If you have more than one entry per category then add a letter following the number. For example, John Smith would name the files:
- 2_ JSmith.jpeg
- Submit your photos via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 26th 2019. The judging panel reserves the right to exclude any entries submitted after this date.
Conditions of Entry
- Entrants must be the author (i.e. person who took the photograph) of submitted photographs and have full copyright on any photograph submitted to the competition.
- The judges’ decision on all matters relating to the competition is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition’s judging and organisation. Should the quality of entries fall below the standard required, the judges reserve the right not to award prizes.
- Upon request, contest winners must be willing to submit supporting details of the photograph including, but not limited to: details on the subject organisms or individual and photo location.
- If cruel or unethical practices are suspected, the entry will be disqualified.
- Where necessary under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act or equivalent legislation (e.g. in the case of protected species), entrants must be willing to supply proof of relevant permits upon request.
- A picture that has already won a prize (winner, runner up or commended) in another photography competition is not eligible for entry.
- Entry to the competition is free for registered 2019 ACRS conference delegates.
- By entering your images into the competition, you grant to the Australian Coral Reef Society a non-exclusive licence to reproduce the images for any purpose in connection with the competition including, but not limited to, the following purposes:
o Judging the competition,
o Displaying at the 2019 ACRS Conference,
o Inclusion within the Australian Coral Reef Society website,
o Use on competition – and exhibition-related merchandise to be sold by the Australian Coral Reef Society,
o In addition, you grant the Australian Coral Reef Society the right to sub-licence images to the press for reproduction in connection with the competition and any exhibition.